Saturday, April 23, 2011

Bretzel Rolls (Bavarian Pretzel Rolls)

Recipe found on Food.com.

I'm not a very good baker. For some reason, I have trouble with the whole "follow recipe exactly no matter what" aspect of it. With cooking, you can improvise, if you're a teaspoon off it's not that big a deal. Baking, on the other hand, require precise measurements for everything to come out right. If you're even a half teaspoon off, things can go wrong. The recipe seemed pretty easy, albeit a little intense for my cooking skills, and I resigned myself to following the directions exactly.


The only part that I was really worried about was the baking soda bath with boiling water. I've never had to bathe food before and I was afraid I'd over-bathe them or something. I don't have tongs (and keep finding myself in situations where I think, "Gee, I'd like to have some tongs" so I may get some on my next trip to Target) so I used a big, slotted spoon to flip and drain the rolls after their bath. The recipe says to only bathe two rolls at a time once the water is at a "rolling boil" and that was good because two at a time was definitely what I could handle. The amount of steam and bubbles that popped up (because of the baking soda) made it hard to see and the rolls weren't supposed to bathe for longer than 30 seconds. I figured a few seconds less than 30 probably wouldn't hurt them--rather than aiming to get both rolls out at 30--so I counted "Mississippi"s and not a single roll was in the water more than 30 seconds. I ended up cutting more rolls than the recipe called for, so they were smaller than what was intended but that worked out because they fit perfectly in my spoon and I didn't have any trouble flipping or draining any of the rolls.

No comments:

Post a Comment