Saturday, March 19, 2011

Surviving The 3 Hour Glucose Tolerance

Here's what I learned about my whole experience getting the 3 hour glucose tolerance done:

1. Make an appointment. I used Quest Laboratories and they usually have a whole bunch of walk-ins, so an appointment is helpful. When you do make the appointment, talk to a real person and explain that you're going for the 3 hour test, not the 1 hour, this will help you avoid being turned away because the online system let you make the appointment to close to closing time (ugh).

2. If you can't make an appointment and have to be a walk-in, get there before they open. I'm not sure what other labs are like, but I got to Quest at 6:20am (they open at 6:30am) and there were already at least ten people standing in line outside the door.

3. Fasting is easiest if you have an early morning appointment. That way you can just sleep through the fast. If that's not possible, make it an afternoon appointment and have a really big breakfast before your fast starts. I had eggs, bacon, and a bagel, and it was the right combination of protein and carbs to keep me from hunger pangs almost until the appointment time. It was hard to remember not to snack though, so watch out! ;)

4. When you get there, tell whoever is at the front desk that you are a 3 hour glucose tester. This will make sure that they can get your drink and start your clock right away. I did not find the drink particularly nasty, but I'm a fan of sweet stuff and sugar anyway. I got a 100g bottle, which was still only 10oz. Even though they increase the sugar, they don't increase the amount, so if you can get 10oz. down quickly, you won't have too much of a problem.

5. Bring something to do! I can't stress this enough. Since I knew that I couldn't leave the office and I'd be there for at least 3 hours, I brought my iPod (loaded with new podcasts) and a knitting project. There was another woman who was also doing her 3 hour tolerance who didn't bring anything to do at all. I can't imagine how bored she was. I, on the other hand, got through several podcast episodes and am now almost finished my knitting project. Time did seem to slow down, but it would have been so much worse if I hadn't brought those things with me. If you're a reader, bring a big book or a book you've just started (or a Kindle/Nook if you have one). There were also kids in the waiting room playing on their DSs, which is also a good idea.

6. You are going to get stuck with needles at least 3 times. I was stuck 4 because they drew a fasting sample, so I got there, they stuck me, then I got the drink and the clock started. 3 more sticks after that. I did get to leave after the final stick, no final paperwork to do or anything like that. If needles bother you (they don't bother me, but I can't watch myself get stuck or I'll flinch), be aware of how much you'll get stuck for this test.

7. Have a post-test plan. My plan was food. Originally, when my test was yesterday afternoon, my plan was to hit the fast food place right by the office and get something to eat in the car on the way home. Even though I didn't have the appointment that day, I still did that because I was starving. Today I got out at 10am, right before all the fast food places switch over to their lunch menu. Since I had already been up for 5 hours, I wasn't in the mood for breakfast food, so my plan changed. I headed over to the mall to kill time before the lunch menu started and then went to Chik-fil-a when I was ready. While at the mall, I stopped in Motherhood Maternity and got two t-shirts on sale (I needed more short sleeve for work). My favorite is the one I'm wearing in the picture, I love pink and it's about time I got some color in my shirts! Winter time is apparently all about black and gray maternity clothes, no fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment