Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Orson is so thoughtful ;)

There were several things pointing towards me getting wings tonight at Glory Days. Partly because it was Wing Night, partly because I was meeting our realtor at 6pm and needed to kill some time, partly because my sister was working, and partly because I really wanted wings and a chicken cheesesteak. It occurred to me today why I've been all about fast food in this pregnancy: sodium. I have been in love with salty foods pretty much since the beginning and it totally explains why during my first trimester some of the only food I could keep down was fast food. In the very, very beginning, before I even knew I was pregnant, I craved bleu cheese which never happens. I like bleu cheese but I have to be in the mood for it, normally, and there were several weeks in a row where I was eating my wings with nothing but bleu cheese. I even bought sliced bleu cheese for sandwiches from Trader Joe's. Bleu cheese has a saltier flavor than other cheeses and salty has been the one consistent flavor so far in this pregnancy.

Soft pretzels and McDonald's french fries have been a favorite through all these months. I put salt on my baked potatoes and today at Glory Days I found myself putting it on my mashed potatoes as well, although I really didn't need to because I'm sure the melted butter-like substance they use (it's called Whirl) is probably loaded with a week's worth of sodium. I've always been a fast food fan, but I have not been able to kick the habit since I've been pregnant. I try for money and health's sake, but I keep getting drawn back in and I'd put money on the sodium content as the culprit.

No comments:

Post a Comment