Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Ready, Set, Register!

We are registered all over the place now. Our baby registries are with Amazon and Target, and today I officially registered us for our childbirth class at the hospital where we're delivering--well, where I will be delivering ;). Next thing I'll be registering for is baptism classes at our church. I would be doing it today but I just missed the office hours and I'll give them a call tomorrow.

The picture for today makes me very happy, they are paint chips from Home Depot because we're going to have a house to paint very soon! It's not as big as the one we looked at before, but there's not nearly the amount of repairs to be made to it (actually all it needs is a new fuse box and some updated wiring). Technically it's move-in ready now, but it desperately needs updated flooring and I want it painted! I've been living in all white walls for probably close to 10+ years and I need some COLOR! Dan went to Home Depot last week while I was at work and picked out some colors that he liked, then we went back on Sunday and I found some that I liked and together we've come up with colors for all the rooms in the house--which the exception of the bathroom which is covered in tile and will be a separate project down the road. I'll save which colors are for which room until we've got some before and after pictures to put up, but settlement is supposed to be a week from Friday and as long as the sellers don't object to bringing the price down just a little more, there shouldn't be anything keeping us from settling then :) Dan will be painting first thing, with the help of friends, while the carpet is still down because it's old and we don't care about it. Then the carpet will be ripped up and the shape of the hardwood floors underneath will be assessed. If they're good enough to re-finish, that's what will happen there, if they are in bad shape, we'll (and by we I mean Dan and family/friends that want to help) get some wood-looking laminate flooring and use that. Once the floor is done, we'll start to move things over from the apartment. I've already started packing some stuff as we've been accumulating boxes and we'll be buying some new furniture (namely a real couch!) so there will be some stuff that won't be moving with us, thankfully!

The lady who lives in the house currently has a lot of...vintage stuff. Basically once she's out, the house is a blank slate for us! I absolutely love that I finally have a place to decorate and the ability to do it so easily! Painting with furniture already in the house is a pain, same with doing new flooring. With everything moved out, it'll be so quick to update and re-finish. We don't have that much stuff to move either, and we've had several friends with trucks/trailers offer to help, it's going to be cake moving everything into the house once it's ready!

We're also excited about moving because it means we can finally get a dog! Both Dan and I are serious dog people and we have missed not having one in the house for two (almost three) years. The yard is soooo spacious and almost completely fenced in (just need to run a fence between the sides of the house and the sides of the yard), any dog we get will be very happy back there! We've been looking at various shelters in the area online for a younger dog (but not a puppy) and came across Mid Atlantic German Shepherd Rescue. We're still not sure where we'll go to get a dog, but we are leaning towards a German Shepherd if we can because of how great they are with kids, especially younger ones. Dan had one growing up and loved her to death. We had our eye on a terrier mix from the SPCA but after doing some research I found that terriers are notorious for not being good with kids because they don't take pain well so that ruled her out. We're still liking shepherds and are hoping we'll be able to get one soon after we move into the house :)

No comments:

Post a Comment