Saturday, February 12, 2011

Prayerfully Long Day


I got decent sleep Friday night. Normally, I'll take girls who want to shower around midnight or 3am when the bathrooms are deserted, but this year, with my early bedtimes, I opted out of the Midnight Showers. I slept ok, I was on a cot and not the floor, but the lights wouldn't turn off or something and it was hard to sleep with the lights on. I felt great in the morning, more so than other years, because I'd had more sleep, and ate a bunch of breakfast. We went on to our next talks and then came lunch. Lunch was a big change from past years. Usually it's burgers. This year, it was "picnic style" with ham, turkey, or tuna sandwiches. Since I technically wasn't supposed to eat any of that, I asked about alternate lunches. Turns out that was totally a good thing, they let me go through the cafeteria line that the college kids use and get pizza and fries! Definitely ate well at lunch!

I started crashing around dinner time. Dinner was the usual for Saturday night: nasty fried chicken. I ate rolls and potatoes, but not the chicken. I knew better. I've had it before and my body is never happy with me when I do. Total we had 14 kids and 3 chaperones. Our group leader totally felt for me not eating the chicken and I mentioned sneaking off and getting some McDonald's. Once we were all together in the gym, I was able to head over to a nearby McDonald's and get some dinner. You know something's bad when McDonald's is preferable ;)

The Eucharistic Procession was amazing as always. Dan and I managed to get some bleacher spots so that I wouldn't have to sit cramped on the floor the whole time. Towards the end though I was really crashing. After the procession itself was over and Adoration had started, I headed over to the sleeping gym and passed out. I was asleep before anybody in our group came back from Adoration and even before they turned the lights off! I waited to brush my teeth both nights until my bladder woke me up, but Saturday night I didn't even wake up to go to the bathroom.

No comments:

Post a Comment