Friday, February 25, 2011

Aquarium Bound!

I love the National Aquarium in Baltimore. It's been one of my favorite places in Maryland since I was little. This year they are celebrating their 30th anniversary which is crazy because when I was an Exhibit Guide in my freshman year of high school, they were celebrating their 20th. Which means I was a freshman 10 years ago, yikes!

We took our entire middle school on a field trip to the aquarium today and it was so much fun! I wasn't officially part of a group of kids, so I floated from group to group, sharing the info that I remember (which was a lot) and just enjoying watching their faces as they watched the different animals. The Dolphin Show was especially funny because all the grades decided to sit in the "Splash Zone" and nearly all of them got wet. There were a few dry kids after the show and they were disappointed, we also had some completely soaked teachers who weren't happy either ;)

There have been some new additions to several of the exhibits since I last visited the aquarium. This eel for one, it was pretty huge and had the kids' attention as it left the hiding place in the rocks to go find a new spot. They really liked the way it swam, very much like a snake.


This is a Screaming Piha. It's the loudest bird in the world. Only the male screams, he's doing it for the attention of the female, who--at this aquarium anyway--mostly just ignores him. The girls thought he was especially funny and couldn't believe how loud he was. You can actually hear him from outside the building! He is not a very big bird, so it's surprising how loud he can get!

No comments:

Post a Comment