Friday, January 21, 2011

How To Decorate A Nursery For $15

Top: North By Northwest, Bottom: Thelma And Louise

Top: Singing In The Rain, Bottom: Jaws

I had another ultrasound this week, this one was a medical diagnostic one that my doctor ordered to see if we could get a better look at Orson's heart. I guess we got a look at his heart, the tech did the whole once-over like last time, it's hard for me to know if the view was "better" or not. I had a nicer tech than last time though, she was more friendly and talked to me more throughout. She estimated his weight to be about 1.5lbs which is right where he should be at 22 weeks (they have me as 23 weeks for some reason, but 1.5 is good for both).

This appointment wasn't anything like last time in that the tech kept going back to this black void on my right side. We'd look at the baby, she'd take pictures and measurements, but eventually she'd go back to this big black spot. Towards the end of the appointment, she asked if I was having any pain on my right side. I told her not specifically on my right side, I'd been having what I thought were Braxton Hicks but those pains were in the middle and low. She pointed at the black mass again and said she thought it might be a ovarian cyst. I didn't freak out immediately because in all my internet scouring when I first became pregnant, I read how common they are and that they usually aren't a big deal.

When we were done, she had me wipe off my stomach and wait for her to come back while she went and talked to the doctor she worked with. I stared at the pictures she had printed out for me (of the baby, not the cyst lol) and when she came back, she said that they'd send the report to my doctor. I verified that it was a cyst she saw, she said that the doctor was pretty sure, and I also verified that they're common. She said that they are, but mine was kind of big, 10cm big. I found out later that's the size of an orange. So I have an orange AND a baby growing in my stomach. Awesome. It possibly explains why I started showing so quickly but not why the cyst itself was missed during my previous ultrasound 3 weeks ago. Unless they just didn't tell me it was there. If they had seen it, they would have put it on the report that my doctor got and she would have told me about it. The cyst had to have been much smaller then and since I wasn't (and am still not) having any pain they probably didn't think to check.

(Jump to Part II of The Mega Cyst Saga)


Rather than sitting around the apartment by myself waiting for Dan to come home (and further researching ovarian cysts), I went to Target for some retail therapy. Amanda had given me the movie stick figure cards as a Christmas present and I had been inspired to frame them for the baby's room. Normally, I walk right past Target's $1 section up front but, since I was killing time and on a tiny shopping spree, today I stopped. Turns out I was very glad that I did because everything I got today was from the $1 section! I walked through the maternity clothes, baby clothes, and the other picture frames to no avail. I headed straight back to the $1 section and picked out 9 picture frames, scrapbooking paper for little boys, and a couple other odds and ends. All said and done, I spent just under $15. Quite proud of myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment