Wednesday, May 11, 2011

We're progressing!

Today I had my weekly OB appointment, but first I had a meeting with our pediatrician. MD state law says that you have to have a pediatrician lined up before you leave the hospital with your baby and we went pretty late picking ours out. Through recommendations of friends and Angieslist.com, we found a really great doctor only 15 minutes from where we live. He was great because he knew that we were first time parents and gave me a tour of the office and went over everything I had questions about before I even asked!

My OB appointment was interesting. We did an internal exam and checked to see if I was any more dilated. Last time we checked (two weeks ago), I was 1cm, today I was 1.5cm. Not much progress, but I'm also 50% effaced (effacement happens before dilation in first time moms, then dilation before effacement in subsequent pregnancies), my cervix is really soft, and the baby is around 0 or -1 station which is fancy talk for he's very definitely "engaged" (his head is low in my pelvis). The doctor could even touch his head, which was uncomfortable for me, but explains a sensation I've been feeling for a while. I thought--almost jokingly--that the sensation was the baby "playing" with my cervix, but simply blew it off as probably my bladder. Turns out I was feeling the baby's head in my cervix as he moved, I don't feel it all the time but it is an odd feeling.

I asked my doctor about being Strep B positive and if that changed when I would need to come to the hospital during labor. Thankfully, the only thing that would change is if my water broke, I'd go in regardless of the contractions. If my water doesn't break, I can stay home until the contractions are regular and close together. I also talked to her about my crazy weight gain (up 10lbs. from last week!) and she's not worried, she's fairly sure it's just water because of how quickly and dramatic the changes are happening. I just had to look at how quickly my ankles swell up to agree with her ;)

After being out of the house for only a few hours, they were just as bad as they were last night before I went to bed. The only thing that makes them go down is a night in bed PLUS propping them up on the ottoman after I get up. I went to bed around 10pm last night, got up around 7am and my feet were almost back to normal size when I left the house at 11am this morning. By 1pm, they were back up to where they were last night and by 5pm they were so swollen I almost couldn't go down stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment