Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Not Quite Co-Sleeping

Joey's bassinet has been next to our bed since we brought him home from the hospital. For the last couple of weeks, I've noticed that he's probably getting too big for it. Both too heavy (he shakes it when he kicks) and too tall (he doesn't have much clearance between the top and his head and the bottom and his feet when he's completely stretched out). I've been putting off using his crib because of how much I like having him next to the bed. It's easy to check on him, it's easy to take him out and nurse, but mostly because moving him to his crib means he's getting bigger and isn't a newborn anymore. We finally put him in the crib because the sooner we transition, the easier it will be for all of us. He's still not in his own room, that transition is more for me, he's outside our door because his room doesn't get as much of the cool air from the window units. Once the weather is cooler and we start using the baseboard heat, he'll go back in his room. I am using a monitor, even though he's just outside the door because I still don't want him to get to the point where he's screaming because he's hungry before I wake up.

The last two nights, he was up every two hours to eat and be changed. Last night, he was back to his normal schedule. I was up because he'd gotten me on that schedule and because I'm still transitioning to the new sleeping arrangements. I really do miss having him next to me, I wish our room was big enough to allow the pack-n-play next to our bed but there simply isn't the space. A side-car co-sleeper would be too big and they're not huge. This is what's best though, and that's why we're doing it. I would feel awful if he got hurt in the bassinet because he's too heavy or too tall and this transition will be easier--for both of us--the younger he is. He's still close by, it's not like we're putting him in his own room all at once, so that's helping me. It's also been good that I've used the monitor because he knows that I'm still close if he needs me, he doesn't have to get super hungry and screaming/crying before I'll come get him, and it's good that he knows that. I still don't have to like it ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment