Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Why am I awake?


Joey didn't exactly wake up hungry. I was awake because I'm always in some sort of not-quite-awake-not-quite-asleep mode between 2am and 5am (when he typically wakes me up to eat) and I heard what I thought to be a massive diaper in the making. I quickly got up and took the baby to the living room to lay him on the plastic mat to keep what I feared was a blowout as contained as possible. Turns out I was over-reacting. When it comes to poo, I'm ok over-reacting, I'd rather do that than ignore it. There was a diaper that needed to be changed, but not what I feared. I changed him, he ate for a solid 15 minutes or so, and then was sound asleep again. All this in about a half an hour.

That was 2 hours ago. Why am I still awake?

I tried to go back to sleep, I curled up in my comfy bed with my comfy pillows but sleep did not come. My eyelids weren't even heavy--or I would have stayed in bed for sure. So I got up and did what any digitally connected insomniac would do: Facebook. And surf the web. My sister-in-law compares checking Facebook to opening up the fridge to see what's in there, and she's right. But I check anyway. Again and again. My surfing led me to purchase some sunglasses for Joey, I justify the purchase because 1) they were on sale so it was like getting free shipping and 2) he's still too little for hats and the sunglasses we bought him don't stay on when he's in his car seat. These sunglasses will also (supposedly) last him until he's 2, so they may become a diaper bag staple.

That leads me to here. Not sleepy, but knowing that I should sleep because when Joey wakes up again between 5-8am, I'm going to be wishing I had slept when he did. Although if he wakes up at 5, that's only 10 minutes away, but considering how much he ate, I'm thinking it'll be closer to 7ish that he wakes up again. I think he only woke up this last time because I was changing his diaper, he probably would have stayed asleep, but I didn't need more reasons to do laundry (or small loads at least, I feel guilty doing small loads, I feel like I need to save it all up, which is silly because huge loads don't necessarily get everything as clean as they can be). I think I'll turn on the TV and get some knitting done and just plan on taking a nap later (although Joey does do 2-3 hour naps in the mornings, I could sleep during one of those maybe). At this point, I got around 4 hours of sleep and apparently have adapted pretty well to functioning with only that much. I've usually fairly awake and functional when Joey wakes up now. Although, that could be because he only wakes up once in the middle of the night and then gets up again after the sun is up, which means I get a decent amount of sleep total.

I'm hoping this means that I'll be used to sleep deprivation by the time Confirmation Retreat rolls around at the end of September. Last year I was pregnant (but didn't know it until the day after we got back from retreat) and exhausted so I ended up getting the most sleep on retreat that I think I've gotten since my own retreat back in '01. Yes, it's the 10th Anniversary of my own Confirmation Retreat. I'd feel old, but I'm too busy enjoying the fact that I've now got a decade worth of retreats under my belt ;)

Anyways, time to see what's on at 0500 and get some knitting done un-interrupted. Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment