Saturday, July 30, 2011

On My Way to Being Crunchy Granola...

I made my own nursing pads. Yup, I'm THAT mom. I went almost two weeks without needing any at all, though I did wear them at night just in case, then I needed them again out of nowhere. I had already started the process of making them so it was just motivation to finish. I had bought a box of cloth ones so I already knew that I liked them, but the box only had 3 pairs in it, not anywhere near the number I'd need for as often as we're doing laundry (which is not every day unless Joey makes a big mess of his clothes). I had been given a box of disposables, which lasted me about a month, then I bought a new box. I was determined not to buy anymore and thus, I made my own. I didn't actually spend any of my money at all. I had a gift card and used only $5 of it to buy flannel receiving blankets (a 5 pack!) because we have some but not enough for this project. I used a fleece blanket we already had (we've got several of those in addition to other blankets) and I found a website with instructions on how to make your own. Voila. I even had enough flannel to add an additional layer to the striped ones to make them more absorbent for night time.

So yeah, breastfeeding, on our way to cloth diapering, co-sleeping, and now homemade nursing pads, I'm well on my way to being pretty crunchy granola hippie mom ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment