Saturday, July 9, 2011

Swim Time

The cousins hung out for a little bit again today. We headed over to my parents' after Dan got back from karate. By the time we got there, Sarah, Jackie, and Jimmy had already been in the pool for a couple of hours! They hung out with us for a little bit before it was time for Jimmy's nap and Sarah and Jackie headed to the mall to pick up last minute accessories for the baptism tomorrow. Joey was not terribly interested in the pool, he was not a fan of the cold water (it wasn't really "cold", it was just colder than the bath water he's used to). He wanted to nurse and after he did, he fell asleep and didn't wake up until we got out of the pool. That's right, he fell asleep while we were holding him in the pool. Such a silly boy.

We also picked up his baptism gown from my grandmother. It's over 100 years old and Joey will be the 5th generation to use it! It was hand made in the early 1900's for my great-grandmother and was sent over from Ireland (it was sewn by her aunt I think). Mom and I were looking at it before we left and found small holes and places where it's coming apart. We're not sure, but it's entirely possible that Joey may be the last baby baptized in it, it's not like the seamstress intended it to be used 4 generations later. It's still really pretty and I'm proud that we can use the gown I was baptized in, in addition to my mom, her mom, and her mom. What a legacy, it's so cool.

It used to have a woolen cape but my grandmother says that moths probably ate it up years and years ago. It does also have a tiny little cap, but that hasn't been used for decades because the babies after my first uncle all had heads that were too big.

Closer look at the lace detail on the bottom.

We're actually looking at the back of the gown, it has tiny buttons to close it up. I'm almost scared to attempt to put Joey in it, I'm afraid he'll squirm and rip something! When my mom brought the gown out, I promised Joey that it was the girliest thing we'd ever put him in and we'd never do it again ;)

1 comment:

  1. That is really precious! When Becca was baptized, our friend wanted to make her a gown. Poor woman--Tim said that he wouldn't put a boy in something like that, so she had to wait with us until the birth to make the gown, and then she only had 3 weeks to do it before the baptism! But it was beautiful. Who knows... maybe other Newbrander children will also wear it! Cool to stumble on your blog when I clicked on the top picture in FB! :)

    ReplyDelete