Sunday, October 3, 2010

More WoW, Less Lessonplans


I will admit I did nothing productive this weekend. I should have worked on some lesson plans, but most of my classes are going to be follow-ups of last week, so there wasn't really much to plan for. It felt really nice to not do anything but rest this weekend, it makes me wish next weekend could be as relaxing. Sadly, I'm scheduled to work next Saturday (not at school btw), so Sunday will be my day to sleep in.

Thursday I had 1st Grade. I planned to have a video for them, and I did, it was a video about birds. They wanted Veggie Tales. When I said we weren't watching Veggie Tales but we were going to watch a video on birds, the entire class started chanting "Veggie Tales, Veggie Tales!". I immediately stopped what I was doing, turned the TV off and looked at each and every one of them (17 in all). They stopped chanting. I lectured them on how that was not classroom behavior and I would not tolerate it in my class. This week, we will not be watching a movie as a result and I will tell them that. One girl chimed in that they should be grateful to have a movie at all and I agreed with her. Had I had some sort of backup plan, we wouldn't have even watched the bird movie. I'm so glad I have karate teaching background, otherwise I probably would not have been able to handle the chanting mob of 1st graders. Since I have the experience I do in discipline, all 17 of them are no problem and I can handle disruptions (for the most part). I had to put two kids in time-out in that same class, which was no surprise, I foresee myself putting both kids in time-out again in the future.

Anyways, I'm off to bed, getting ready for another long work-week.

No comments:

Post a Comment