Saturday, September 1, 2012

Temper Tantrum Nuggets





I used 2 chicken breasts that I defrosted and had more than enough sauce/breadcrumbs. Modified from Cooks.com.


Chicken:
  • Milk bath - I ran out of eggs, but you can also do an egg wash, I found water + frozen chicken does not make the breading adhere very well.
  • Equal parts flour and plain breadcrumbs - I used 1/4cup each.
  • I forgot to season the chicken first, but salt/pepper are awesome
  • Veggie oil for frying - or whatever you have in the house
Sauce:
  • 1/2 cup soy sauce
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup cooking sherry
  • 1 tbsp. garlic - I had minced in the fridge
  • 1 tbsp. or so honey - I would have used ginger but I didn't have any
Prep:
  • I cut my chicken into bite-sized nuggets after defrosting.
  • Pre-heat oven to 325
  • Heat oil on stove
  • Line a cookie sheet or baking pan with foil
  • Combine sauce ingredients in large bowl, set aside
Directions:
Dunk chicken pieces in milk bath then move to breadcrumb/four mixture. Once evenly coated, move chicken to either plate with paper towel (minimizes mess) or directly to hot oil. I had a bowl ready for when chicken finished in oil. I used a spoon to put the chicken into the oil so I wouldn't get as much splatter. Using a long-handled utensil (I had a wooden spoon handy but metal is probably better), move around the chicken pieces as they fry in the oil. Once they reach your desired level of browned, transfer them from the oil to the bowl or plate you've set aside. Repeat until you've done all your chicken. Note: a few pieces at a time makes it easier when it's time to remove chicken, you'll have less burned pieces, they also are less likely to stick together.

Once you are finished frying your chicken, drop a few pieces at a time into your sauce mixture and let them soak for a minute or so. Then, move them to your baking pan. I drizzled a little bit of sauce over pieces once they were all in the pan, but not too much so they wouldn't get soggy in the oven. Place baking pan in oven for 20-25 minutes (go closer to 25, I did 20 and while they were good I would have preferred a bit more crisp on the outside). While the chicken is in the oven you have the option of reducing your Asian sauce on the stove, I did this to make a dipping sauce and it was yummy :) The flavor was strong though, just be aware that this is what reduction does to sauces.

When chicken is finished plate and enjoy!



P.S. I named them "Temper Tantrum Nuggets" because Joey had a tantrum when I left him in the living room with Daddy to make these lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment