Monday, September 17, 2012

My Breastfeeding Toddler

I didn't see myself initially breastfeeding much beyond a year. Honestly it wasn't something I thought much about until I started seeing articles and research (and some horror stories of what strangers actually have the gall to stay to people they don't know). With my exposure to breastfeeding growing up, I knew it was something I was going to do and I wasn't weirded out by nursing toddlers as I had seen many of them through the years. So my initial goals changed as I did research, especially research regarding history of food allergies in the immediate family, and I wanted to at least BF exclusively for a year if I could, and would go longer after that if Joey wanted to. I knew that some toddlers can completely forget about nursing once introduced to solid foods, especially yummy table food off Mommy/Daddy's plate, so I was prepared mentally for Joey to wean once we started solids. Not only did Joey not wean himself, he continued to request to nurse any time of the day or night! He loves food, has several favorites that change by the week or by the day, but his nom-noms (nursing) have remained a constant and I can actually say that it does make me happy. Don't get me wrong, I love not being his sole food source at this point. Not having to worry about my supply or pumping for a while has been great, especially since I know I'll be back on that horse in a few months for another year or so. But with working full time, I love coming home and having Joey hug me and want nom-noms. It's our quiet time together where can "check in" with each other and reconnect after having been apart for hours. Even when I'm home on the weekends, Joey still asks to nurse. We've gone back to nursing at night when it's my turn to get him, so not really night-weaned anymore, but he doesn't get up nearly as often AND when I do nurse him, I can usually un-latch him and get him back to bed fairly quickly. Nights are getting much better, and just in time too!

Joey cut 3 teeth a week or so ago. At once. I knew something was up because he basically wanted to nurse pretty much as long as I was around. It's hard to stay annoyed with that many requests when he looks at you with his toothy grin and signs the word "please" (well, his version). It's also nice because now that he's bigger, some positions are actually more comfortable than they were when he was small. Our favorite is me semi-reclined on the couch with him snuggled up next to me and we can either both see the TV (Curious George is a favorite) or I can slip into a light doze while he watches TV. Some days this is the closest to a nap that I can get and I will take it! Joey is not super affectionate, sometimes he will give hugs when you ask, but kisses rarely happen (we haven't really asked for any, so I'll have to see what happens when I do), and after reading Nursing The Older Child today, I definitely think that his main form of showing me affection is through nursing. The affection through nursing is definitely two way, I snuggle him and kiss him lots while he's in my lap (or sitting next to me, lol), and I love it. I'm glad he decided he wasn't ready to quit, I would have been ok if he had, but the extra snuggles definitely help my long days at work not seem so bad. It also explains why he gets so upset if I have to stop a nursing session (especially in the early morning to get ready for work), it's like breaking a hug with someone you don't want to leave. You want to hug them and hold onto them for a long as you possibly can, and when I have to stop nursing either to do things around the house or to leave for work, we're both sad that our favorite form of affection has to stop.

I definitely jinxed sleep last night by starting this post then going to bed. I think Joey's got a bit of a stuffy nose (possibly from the weather changing) and he had a difficult time staying in his flat crib. I brought him back to bed when he woke up, and usually after an hour or more of nursing/sleeping I can put him back into his crib with no problems. Not this time! As soon as he felt that crib mattress he was instantly awake and upset! I tried going back to bed with him but that was it, it was too close to my alarm going off AND Joey never fully settled back down. He was constantly moving his legs or hands (I need to trim his fingernails, they're sharp and he kept scratching me!) and I could tell even in the darkness that he was opening his eyes and looking around. Eventually, after two straight hours, and 30 minutes until my alarm, I woke Dan up and had him take Joey. Joey cried for a minute or two but not nearly for as long as he has in the past when I have to give him to Dan, and I was glad for that. I needed that 30 min not just to have some time for myself and doze a little, but also for Dan and Joey to get settled before I started getting ready for work. If I got ready while Joey was still awake enough to realize I was out and moving around, he wouldn't go to sleep for Dan. The plan worked, I dozed lightly and they were both asleep when I got up, time for another week at work.

No comments:

Post a Comment