Sunday, November 25, 2012

Perfectly Poe

The Stats
Pattern: Umaro
Designer: Jared Flood
Yarn: Cascade Lana Grande
Colorway: Wild Orchid
Yardage: 13 balls = 1,131yds = 3,393ft
Needles: US 15 
CO: 127sts
Start Date: June 29, 2012
Finish Date: Sept 30, 2012
Made For: Matt and Jenny's wedding present


I think I've given the newlyweds enough time to open presents and see it, so here's a post I've been hanging onto since September! Say hello to my largest knitting project to date, both in yardage and actual finished size! I am so immensely pleased with the way it turned out and with the fact that I was able to be finished a whole month before the wedding! The pattern was a lot of fun to work, despite the mind-blowing amount of seed stitch! I will admit to being pretty tired of the pattern after 6 repeats PLUS another 1-14 rows worked of the chart before finishing (I actually worked 1-12 then only had enough yarn left for 3 rows of seed stitch border and had to BO). Initially I had planned to modify the pattern to fit two other presents for people for Christmas, but now I'm only using it for one person's present and chose something different for person #2. I will definitely be knitting the pattern again, it's simple and gorgeous, just after I take a little break and knit some smaller, instant-gratification projects first.

The most complicated part of the pattern (besides keeping track of where you are in a row) is the cables. There aren't many of them in the chart, but the two rows they do show up on are more tedious than the others because they take a bit longer to work through. You have to slip the first two stitches onto a cable needle, then slip a third stitch and keep it separate, knit the next two, grab the single stitch that was slipped and purl it, then finally bring back the first two slipped stitches and knit those. On one row you only do one cable per horizontal repeat and on the other row where you do this, there's an extra cable before the horizontal repeats. That's only 2 rows out of the 28 in the chart, so not too bad, the rest of the chart is pretty basic (K, P, SSK, YO, and K2TOG). I did use stitch markers to keep track of my horizontal repeats and I definitely would have been lost without them!

1 comment:

  1. First, beautiful pattern and congratulations on completing such a landmark project! It's a pattern I myself have definitely been eyeing for awhile and seeing you knit it hasn't helped matters.

    Sounds like the next step should be learning to cable without a cable needle ;)

    ReplyDelete